This long presidential campaign is finally over and we were victorious. By we, I of course mean the American people. The better man for this point in history has won the job and all Americans will be better off because of it.
I'm not shy about my political opinions and I do get into this sort of thing, but I did not expect the tears of joy when I heard the networks announce that Barack Obama had won the election. This is the first time in my life I've ever felt this way over an election.
Now I don't hate Sentor McCain, and I never have. I do have strong disagreements with him regarding policy and direction, but there is no hatred. I did have a great fear for our nation, though; I've been watching powerless to stop the horrible things that have been happening in and too our nation for the last 8 years going back to the Florida election.
Granted, many of our problems started before that, but I'm a bit partisan and maybe is was amplified at that point.
My great fear was that we would continue these indefensible policies and this truly would be the end our great nation. Obama truly does offer hope to me that we can get back on track as a nation. I think he is a very good leader, but I also think getting away from the utter lack of leadership provided by the Bush administration.
I wish him and in turn, us all the best. I do hope there is some reaching across the isles. I hope things get done. I hope we can end this war, tackle healthcare, the energy crisis and the economy and I do believe all of those issues are closely linked. I hope we can reduce our deficit, buy down our debt(yes, I know, not this year). I hope we can return to good government, perhaps better than any we've had in the past. I hope we can bring Osama Bin Laden to justice.
Yes, I really do have hope....even for the Seahawks.
I was disapointed by the passage of gay marriage bans. I realize that a majority of American voters oppose the concept of gay marriage, but I do believe that this will change in our generation and it will be legal in all 50 states.
I also have yet to see some key races end yet. Chambliss is in a run-off, I hoped to see him lose big; he was elected in a dispicable race against a man who deserved better. Franken is in a recount, I just like Franken. I admit, I have no idea if he will be good at governing, but I like him otherwise. That's not a very good reason to elect him, but I'd be willing to give him a chance at this level. And the Burner/Riechert race in my own backyard, is still being counted. I like Riechert, even though he is a Republican, he is one of the good guys, I just prefer Darcy Burner. Unfortunately, all of these race are leaning towards the Republican as I write this. Here is to Democracey in acton.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment